Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Make a Land Water & Air Mat

 Land Water & Air Mat.  I saw one of these here and thought I would give it a try in felt.

I will most likely use different pieces in the future, but these puzzle pieces were here and worked for what I needed. You can make your own - the original look like this I may make something similar...you could also use cut-outs of Masonite and modpodge printed animals to them...or... you could just use printouts and laminate...or...just use actual figures. This is a wonderful mat for it's basic purpose of discovery of Land Water and Air, but also has many other language and nature study possibilities. Creating scenes and stories....etc.

 I basically cut all the felt pieces by eye (played around with it a bit), and built the picture. When I was satisfied with the layout, I glued with a hot glue gun.
 This is where I started...two pieces of canvas,that I painted with watered acrylics to create a back ground.  You could use all fabric or all felt...but I had small squares of felt on hand, and wanted to make that work.  The second solid piece is for our continents mat ...will post that later.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful land, water, and air mat! It looks so inviting! I added your link to http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/11/21/montessori-monday-land-air-and-water/.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! I thought it would be fun to make this and the kids have a lot of fun with it!!

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate your friendly comments and feedback. I love to see what others are making, so please feel free to include a links and share your site with us!!! If you have any questions regarding any of the materials we have made...I'd love to help!!! Thank you for visiting us:)