Sunday, October 2, 2011

What we've been up to with Montessori Math...


Xander has been looking for new ways of using many of his early math materials.  We have been having fun with it!!  These are his number rod cards, and he is using a box of bead stairs that we put together to make combinations for each number.  We did start this with 10 originally.  We would flip the cards (he was excited about this ), and complete the "make the number challenge". 

My husband made this box for us, and I filled it with extra bead bars that I purchased.  I have since purchased the Bead Decanomial from Kid Advance this will serve many purposes for our home class room.  I will also use it for the checker board and just remove the ten bars.  I saw no need - in our case - to purchase both.

 More addition with the teen boards...I laid out a bead bar for each number, and his challenge was to find the missing bar (S).  He was counting the difference on his fingers.  He loves the Seguin Boards, and is always looking for a new (to him) activity for them.
 Sorry for the dark picture...This is skip counting by three's.  I also found these cute wood cutouts of people, and thought they would be great in this math lesson.  He grouped them by threes and transferred his arrows. 
 This was simply writing out the hanging bead stair as addition problems.


This is the tray of wooden blocks, people & balls (flat on one side) that we use for math.  My husband made the cubes for the kids. Some will actually become story dice...but that's another post.The kids LOVE them, so they were hanging around the table.


This was our introduction ... over a bowl of oatmeal we started to talk about Multiplication- along with an after dinner session with daddy ...4 taken 2 times...etc...
 


Below... later work...recording his findings.  We also worked from tables, and random problem slips.

 Then we moved onto our Multiplication Bead Board.  He was sooo funny with this...He loved setting up the board, and after a few goes insisted on presenting it to me:))




 These are the dice I purchased from Play N' Learn Kingston, Ontario.  I like them because they are over sized and Xander finds them very interesting.  He rolls and adds ...or I roll one - as does he and adds....he rolls three numbers and adds...etc...you get the idea.  The dice in this case have addition and subtraction.
 I found these plastic shot glasses at a party supply store - always have my eyes open in places like these for things that we may use in our class room.  They work perfectly for our golden unit beads.  You could spray them gold - simply turn them over on a tray - but I chose to just leave them clear.
 This is our Math Cabinet.  Our Math Materials for this cabinet are from Montessori Print Shop .  The cabinet is organized by row and operation...Addition...Multiplication...Subtraction & Division.  The tables for each are held in the bottom 4 larger drawers.  As are pre- made and color coded 2..3...4 digit number cards.

I also  made several sheets for recording.  Basically... the color coded boxes came from stamp paper.  I first decided to make a large over sized slip, because it was difficult for him to write such tiny numbers.  He has now graduated onto the 6 slip paper.  We also use the sheets below these for various activities.  I did do all of our slips from Unit to 1000, as every time he uses them it also becomes an exercise in place value.




7 comments:

  1. You've got some good math stuff going on! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to Montessori and it all looks very ovewhelming to me and expensive too. I will try not to give it up but I am having a difficult time. Beautiful work you are doing! I will look up to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Montessori can look overwhelming at first and it can be very expensive but...there are so many things and versions you can make yourself. Living Montessori Now is a great resource and Montessori for Everyone has great information but the best peice of advice I got was to start at the beginning and start small:)) I have all the links I used on my sidebar check out the videos by Margaret they will show you everything right from the beginning...it's a good start. Good luck and thank you for coming by and leaving such a kind comment:))

      Delete
  3. Where did u purchase the wooden block people? I've been looking for some open ended figures for my block area everywhere and your's are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are!! I bought them from our local apple orchard - they had a flea market type section, they were such a great find!!

      Delete

I greatly appreciate your friendly comments and feedback. I love to see what others are making, so please feel free to include a links and share your site with us!!! If you have any questions regarding any of the materials we have made...I'd love to help!!! Thank you for visiting us:)